White Potatoes: To Eat or Not To Eat?
Why do people think white potatoes are bad?
- Some diets ban white potatoes
- Paleo diet – because they are starchy and high in carbs
- Whole 30 – originally not allowed but now white potatoes are okay after all
- Keto – potatoes are a carbohydrate and will kick your body out of ketosis
- High glycemic index, leading to diabetes and weight gain
- Studies have not been able to differentiate a cause from white potatoes versus other parts of a diet
- Potatoes are carbohydrates but do contain fiber
Why eat white potatoes?
- They are a vegetable
- They grow in the ground
- They have nutritional value
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
- Can make up deficiencies with a gluten free diet
When are white potatoes not nutritious?
- When fried in vegetable oils and highly processed
- French fries
- Tator tots
- Fast food
- Potato chips
- As part of a poor diet high in ultra processed foods, sugary drinks
- Do not exclude real food grown in the ground from your diet – but do second guess packaged foods
- White potatoes can be part of a healthy diet and shouldn’t be the target for causing poor health
- Limit French fry intake or ultra processed potato products
- Use different preparation methods for white potatoes
- Keep the skin on
- Air fryer
- Baked potatoes
Research & Resources